Phlebotomy - Continuing Ed
Phlebotomy courses cover duties associated with the practice of venipuncture, capillary puncture and special collection procedures and a clinical. Also includes experience with quality control, infection control and safety procedures as well as laboratory computer systems. Students successfully completing this course and clinical may apply for a National Phlebotomy Registry Examination. The cost for the exam is $105.
Steps to get started:
2. Complete the free reading and dexterity test in Room 205 at the EGTC. Reading requirement is 10.0 or higher TABE D score. No appointment necessary.
3. Register and pay for courses EMSS 5001 and EMSS 5002. A payment plan is available for a $20 fee allowing you to make two payments of $327.50. Both payments are due prior to the first class.
FIRST DAY OF CLASS (copies of all documents): MUST BE COMPLETED
4. Portfolio with documentation of background check, negative TB test or chest x-ray, measles, mumps & rubella (MMR)x2, Influenza vaccination , Proof of Chicken Pox or varicella titer (proof of immunity), First 2 of 3 in the series completed of Hepatitis B #1 and #2, American Heart Association BLS- CPR certification and receipt of payment.
5. Complete background check for phlebotomy at American DataBank (use American DataBank only) 303 573-1130 or www.healthcareEx.com for $59 and TB test available through your healthcare provider or Denver Health Center, 605 Bannock, for $15.
6. Purchase textbook: Phlebotomy Handbook: Blood Collection Essentials, 8th edition by Garza at University of Colorado Health Science Center (UCHSC) Bookstore, Bldg. 500, 13001 East 17th Place near Peoria & Colfax, Phone: 303 724-2665, FAX 303 724-6637. Textbook cost: approx. $60. or Specialty Books, Phone: 800 466-1365, www.Specialty-Books.com/eg
7. Obtain your free school I.D. at the Student Success Center, 1261 Glenarm Pl. near 13th Street and Glenarm on the Emily Griffith Technical College campus. Hours: Monday-Thursday. 8 a.m.-6 p.m., Friday 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Course receipt and government -issued photo I.D. required.
8. Purchase school supplies:
- Daily planner
- Black ink pens
- 3-inch binder
- 16 binder dividers
- Index cards
- Lined paper
- Uniform/scrubs, any color (required 2nd class night)
- Sneakers, any color, but no open-toe shoes
- No jewelry
Course Cost: $660
Contact Hours: 109