When Emily Griffith first started her school the large majority of Emily’s students were coming from work to class with no break in between. They would not have a chance to eat. So, Emily and her sister would make a large batch of soup at home and carry it to school every day to feed the students.
At Emily’s Cafe, we keep the tradition alive by offering two soups a day for lunch. One of the most popular soups is Cheddar Broccoli.
Cheddar Broccoli Soup
- 12 oz butter
- 14 oz onions, diced
- 8 oz celery, diced
- 16 oz broccoli stems, chopped
- 8 oz mushrooms, chopped
- 9 oz flour
- Heat butter; add onion, celery, broccoli, mushrooms, flour.
- Cook for around 5 minutes.
- Add 1 quart hot milk.
- Puree the above ingredients in a blender.
Place back into pot and add the following:
- 12 oz broccoli florets, small.
- 1 pound cheddar cheese, grated.
- 16 oz heavy cream, reheat soup and serve.