The Program Testing Center at Emily Griffith Technical College offers the TABE Assessment for prospective students and paraprofessionals. Initial TABE test for entrance to Emily Griffith Technical College programs is free, retests are $20. TABE tests and retests for paraprofessionals are $20.
Emily Griffith has multiple ways to ensure that students are ready and prepared for their programs, and then for employment in the fields of study. We evaluate standardized test scores, your high school records, and your records at other institutions of higher education both from the US and abroad. You can view the charts below to determine if you have fulfilled the assessment requirements. After submistting an admissions application you may email documentation of your assessment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
College of Creative Arts and Design Demonstration of Program Readiness
- Barbering, Cosmetology, Culinary Arts, Esthetician, Massage Therapy, Multimedia & Video Production, Professional Baker
College of Health Sciences and Administration Demonstration of Program Readiness
- Dental Assisting, Legal Office, Medical Administrative Assistant, Medical Assisting, Nurse Assisting, Pharmacy Technician, Phlebotomy, Practical Nursing
College of Trades, Industry, and Professional Studies
- Accounting, Auto Collision Repair, Auto Service, CAD-BIM, Computer Networking, Construction Essentials, Cybersecurity, Geographic Information Systems, HVAC, Water Quality Management, Web Development, Welding 1, Welding 2
- Students must have valid government photo ID or student ID to test. See below for accepted forms of ID.
- Testing must be done during official test hours.
- Cell phones will be secured prior to testing.
- Test is timed and cannot be stopped once you have started.
- Test is computerized and calculator is part of online exam.
- Scratch paper and pencil are provided.
Total Estimated Testing Time: 2.5 hours
- Reading: Untimed, 1 hour average testing time
- Math: Untimed, 1.5 hour average testing time
Tests for Practical Nursing and Practical Nursing Pre-requisites are timed.
Accepted forms of ID
- Driver's License or state photo ID
- Permanent Resident Card (green card)
- Mexican Consulate Card
- Department of Corrections
- Military ID
For programs that require the TABE Reading Test only, the estimated testing time is 1 hour.
For programs that require both the TABE Reading and Math tests, the estimated testing time is 2.5 hours.
|Program||TABE Reading Test Minimum Score Required *||TABE Math Test Minimum Score Required *|
|Culinary Arts||8.0||Not Required|
|Professional Baking||9.0||Not Required|
|Massage Therapy||10.0||Not Required|
|Hospitality Administration & Management||9.0||Not Required|
|Video Production & Editing||8.0||Not Required|
|Legal Office||10.0||Not Required|
|Medical Administrative Assistant||10.0||Not Required|
|Nurse Assisting||10.0||Not Required|
|Dental Assisting||12.0||Not Required|
|LPN Pre-Requisites||12.0 (TABE Level A)||Not Required|
|LPN||12.0 (TABE Level A)||77% (Custom Math Test)|
|Automotive Collision Repair||6.0||6.0|
|CAD-Building Information Modeling||8.0||6.0|
|Water Quality Management||12.0||10.0|
|Geographic Information Systems||12.0||12.0|
*Scores take effect: 5/1/19
*Any prior TABE scores are still valid from the last year and are grandfathered into classes.
TABE Equivalency Requirements
If you have taken the ACT or SAT test in the last 5 years or the Accuplacer, CASAS, or CCPT test in the last year, you may be able to waive the TABE test. You can view the TABE equivalency requirements here.
Testing Center Hours of Operation
Program entrance tests are done on a walk-in basis during the times listed below, in room 657 at 1860 Lincoln Street:
8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
8:00 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.
Emily Griffith Technical College offers the TABE Reading and Math test for all DPS Paraprofessionals. Tests will be $20. Retests will be $20 as well.
Testing is available at any time during the following hours (offices are closed most holidays -- check for closures on the main page):
Monday-Wednesday: 8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Thursday: 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.
Questions? Please reach out to your DPS Talent Representative.
EdReady is an online study platform designed to support every learner's unique reading and math readiness journey. Emily Griffith Technical College provides free access to EdReady for all prospective students. EdReady builds a personalized learning path tailored to the entrance test(s) you will take. EdReady is a digital learning system you can access on any device. It is the easiest, fastest, most complete way to prepare. For more information, email EdReady.Help@emilygriffith.edu.
To get started:
- Find your key codes here.
- Review the steps to set up your account here.
- Then click the button below.
To determine whether you need to take a Reading-only TABE test, or both Reading and Math TABE tests, please see the Program Tests tab.
If you are interested in the LPN program, please use this Practice Reading Test.
If you are interested in the LPN program please use the LPN Math Practice Test to prepare for the LPN math test.
Need more information?
Upcoming Related Events
Emily's Cafe is a product of our Culinary Arts Program. Our entrees are ordered, created, prepared, and served by our Culinary Arts students.Hours:
CLOSED DURING THE EXTENDED SPRING BREAK... more »